Tonight’s Emmys 2018 ceremony was chock-filled with buzzy moments, from the TV shows that took home the top honours (cough, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) to a literal surprise proposal (I know). Plus, the Queer Eye guys and Betty White made appearances that revitalized the Internet’s soul. Below, check out all the tidbits from the Emmys people will be talking about for the rest of the week. Get in the loop!
1. Kate McKinnon and Keenan Thompson’s opening song about diversity. It was essentially poking fun at the concept of Hollywood patting itself on the back for making the smallest strides in diversity. RuPaul, Kristen Bell, Ricky Martin, and Sterling K. Brown all made appearances. “We did not solve [diversity]? We have a long way to go?” Thompson says at the end, which, yup, that’s accurate. The number highlighted the fact that we do still have many steps ahead to achieve true equality in Hollywood.
— Hollywood Reporter (@THR) September 18, 2018
2. Colin Jost and Michael Che’s joke about how no one is watching the Emmys. “We’d like to say hi to the thousands of people in the audience, and the hundreds of people watching at home.” Their opening monologue also included commentary on #MeToo, TV diversity as a whole, the Roseanne scandal, and This Is Us‘ weepiness, among other topics.
3. Chrissy Teigen’s face when the camera panned to her during Jost and Che’s opening monologue. This is literally the epitome of, “I’m not getting involved.”
— GIPHY (@GIPHY) September 18, 2018
4. All the wins for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. The Amazon comedy took home so many trophies, including Outstanding Comedy Series, Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series (Rachel Brosnahan), Outstanding Supporting Actress (Alex Borstein), and Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series (Amy Sherman-Palladino, who also took home a nod for writing).
5. Angela Bassett and Tiffany Haddish’s on-stage banter. They presented the award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, and spent the entire time just obsessing over each other. Where is their buddy comedy?
— Karen Civil (@KarenCivil) September 18, 2018
6. Chrissy Teigen roasting John Legend on live television. “We get it: You won the EGOT. Don’t encourage him.” It was like her Instagram trolling brought to life.
7. RuPaul and Leslie Jones presenting an award together. Much like Haddish and Bassett, this is the duo we didn’t know we needed.
— Jason McKenney (@jjman920) September 18, 2018
8. Betty White’s presence. She’s literally an icon.
— S (@QuietSlytherin_) September 18, 2018
9. The surprise proposal! During his acceptance speech for Outstanding Directing for a Variety Special, Glenn Weiss proposed to his girlfriend on screen. On stage. The audience went wild, especially Leslie Jones.
— Entertainment Weekly (@EW) September 18, 2018
We are all Leslie Jones tonight. #EmmyAwards
— Sarah Harvey (@sannharvey) September 18, 2018
10. Thandie Newton winning Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for Westworld. This and Regina King winning for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie for Seven Seconds were definitely the winning highlights of the night.
— Variety (@Variety) September 18, 2018
11. The Queer Eye guys announcing the award for Outstanding Leading Actor in a Drama Series. They offered the characters their makeover expertise, too. Can you believe?
View this post on Instagram
12. RuPaul’s Drag Race winning Outstanding Reality Competition Series. If you don’t love yourself, how the hell are you ‘gonna love somebody else?!
Taken from GLAMOUR US. Read the original here.