So you’re planning your Morocco holiday! As they say in Arabic, Mabruk! (Congratulations). Now what? Well, before you get on the plane, there are some things you probably want to know and everything you want to do while you’re there:
What to do
- Morocco’s oldest imperial city has a rich cultural history and vibrant atmosphere, so get set to explore, eat, shop and unwind wonderfully.
- Wander through the extraordinary Medina (old town). This UNESCO World Heritage site is a maze of 9 000 winding streets, with jewel-box stores, narrow alleys, donkey carts and great eateries.
- Be learned at the library of the centuries-old Quaraouiyine Mosque, the world’s oldest continuously functioning university and a major religious site.
- Marvel at the Al-Attarine Madrasa, with its exquisite carvings and tiles, then visit the beautiful Bou Inania Madrasa.
- Be leather-bound at Chouara Tannery. The oldest traditional tannery in the souk is memorable for many reasons, including the smell, vast dyeing vats and great leather buys.
- Feel like a flower child in the Jnan Sbil Gardens, a fragrant haven of palm and citrus trees, with a lake and café.
- Watch the sunset from a terrace bar.
- Kiss your diet goodbye, and say hello to rich pastries and aromatic tagines.
What to buy
Carpets, jewellery, leather slippers, wall hangings, inlaid boxes, gorgeous oils and perfumes. Fez is a shopper’s delight, and one of the places in the world where our SA rands actually go somewhere.
Where to stay
You’ll understand why Hotel Sahrai’s name means ‘magic’ the minute you step into this glamorous former palace. A striking blend of historic Moorish design and chic minimalism, it’s an unusual and thrilling home-away-from-home in this storied city.
The glorious views and light-flooded spaces allow for romance, adventure or relaxation, so breakfast like a queen (the pastries are especially dreamy), then head for the sights or relax by the infinity pool. Come evening, the hip rooftop is the place to be, followed by dinner at the gourmet Moroccan or international restaurant.
An exclusive Givenchy spa is one of the jewels in this crown, and service is sensational at every turn. As for location, the Sahrai is just a 10-minute drive from the Medina, and within easy reach of every major attraction, not to mention the fabulous shopping.
For more travelling tips, these are the apps you need if you’re travelling abroad!