What to do
- Walk Bond Street, even if only to revel in the luxurious beauty of designer creations that cost as much as a car.
- Explore the sensational Tate Modern, National, and Victoria and Albert Museum. And while you’re at it, have a coffee, too – London’s museum restaurants are fabulous.
- Eat Chinese, Indian and Lebanese food – fantastic choices and the best value for money.
- Luxuriate in a landmark bar. The clubby Dukes Bar is an ultimate.
- Strike it lucky at sales time.
- Revel in the incredible free attractions: street performers, festivals, fairs, parks, museums and, of course, the thrill of walking this great metropolis.
What to buy
- Book lovers, don’t miss the UK’s oldest bookshop, the magical Hatchards.
- Speaking of magic, a Harry Potter souvenir will speak to your inner child. Fashion-wise, you’ll be spoilt for choice, but do check out the huge choice of boots, scarves and coats. Vintage clothes and jewellery abound.
- A graceful red-brick building at the end of a tiny lane, Dukes Hotel is a delicious secret – an award-winning delight in the heart of the buzzy, A-list zone. And, from the flag-bedecked courtyard to the deluxe suites and classic rooms, it all feels welcoming, classy and wonderfully English.
- If you’re coming for business, try the Duchess rooms, specially tailored for women. If it’s romance you want, well, we’d just like to say, 24-hour room service, huge bed, spacious bathroom amenities…
- As for location, pretty much every designer and high street store you’ve dreamed of is a stroll away, along with bars, restaurants, clubs, parks and Buckingham Palace. Just take your Handy (a free cellphone, Internet provider and city guide provided to hotel guests), and explore to your heart’s content.
Make sure to include two hotel highlights:
- Breakfast in ivory and black GBR Restaurant (choices range from the best Bircher muesli to Cumberland sausage brioche). And blow some budget on a martini in the famous Dukes Bar – it was loved by Ian Fleming, the author who created the “shaken not stirred” Mr Bond.
For more travelling tips, these are the apps you need if you’re travelling abroad!