Suffering from a bit of festival FOMO? Us too! Even more than that, we’re lusting after the fabulous festival hair we spotted at Glastonbury! But just because we’re not in festival season in SA, doesn’t mean we can’t look like we are, which is why we asked hair guru David Gilson from Carlton Hair to help us create the perfect festival ‘do (even though we won’t be wearing ours to watch The Rolling Stones).
1. Start with clean, towel-dried hair. Apply a curl mousse and rough-dry your hair upside down.
2. Once 80% dry, divide your hair into 4 sections – the front (up to the crown), the left side, the right side and the back. Clip each section up, so it’s out of the way.
3. Start on one of the sides – unclip the hair and twist it on itself towards the back of your head while blasting with a hair dryer. Keep twisting until it wants to fold-up on itself, then stop, pull it straight, and keep drying. Keep the twist as low as possible – this look is about flat roots and full-on volume through the lengths, so pull the twist downwards as you go. Do this for about two minutes. Then, twist the strand in on itself and clip into a rough knot.
4. Once you’ve done both sides, divide the back section into two and repeat the process. Do the same with the top section.
5. Next, use the diffuser attachment on your hair dryer (yes, that thing has a use!) to blast each knot for a few seconds at a time. Continue until each knot is 100% dry.
6. Allow the knots to cool before unclipping then run your fingers through the twists to release them. Add a drop or two of shine serum through the ends, and you’re festi-fabulous!
Emmy is the daughter of a sailor, animal loving, coffee addicted, beauty product junkie editor of rouge.co.za