Waterproof mascara, is amazing but removing it isn’t. Oil and water don’t mix, so oil is the perfect tool for dissolving waterproof mascara without damaging your eyelids and lashes. Our favourite oil cleanser is The Body Shop Camomile Silky Cleansing Oil, which goes for R150 but if you don’t have an oil cleanser around, you can use almond or olive oil or any other non-scented oil – just be sure to stay away from those that are petroleum-based because they’ll irritate your eyes.
Here are our six easy steps for removing warterproof mascara:
1. Grab some cotton pads and soak them in whichever oil you’re using.
2. Fold the pad in half, close your eyes and place half the pad under your lashes. Fold the other half over the top of your lashes and make sure that your lashes are in contact with the oil on the pad.
3. Press the cotton pad onto the lashes for about 30 seconds. This will give the oil time to work.
4. When the 30 seconds is up, gently pull the pad off your lashes – most of the mascara should come away with it.
5. Repeat this process until the pad comes away clean.
6. Once your eyes are clean, wash your face as usual. This should remove any leftover oil around the eye area.