New year wellness goals.
Six years ago, TV medic Dr Michael Mosley kickstarted a health revolution when he introduced us to the power of intermittent fasting through The 5.2 Fast Diet.
Now he's back with a brand new book, The Fast 800, and a step-by-step digital programme that'll shake up your wellness game faster than you can say "new year's resolutions".
The ethos is simple: using a personal online assessment, the lifestyle programme allows you to tailor your own healthy living plan. There's no quick fixes or fads either, as the plan is geared towards improving your long-term health through personalised menus.
“Whether you have a lot of weight to lose rapidly, or your health goals are to lose a little, get fitter and supercharge your health, The Fast 800 is flexible enough to suit most people," says Dr Michael.
"But I still have so many people asking me for additional advice, support and guidance to implement the right plan for them, which is why we have created a digital lifestyle support programme to complement the book.”
So, if 2019 is the year you're making wellness work for you, read ahead for everything you need to know about The Fast 800.
What is the Fast 800 plan?
Quite simply, The Fast 800 is a personalised digital lifestyle programme that puts healthy eating at its core. Whether weight loss is your goal or you're looking to refine your diet, the plan can help everyone adjust their lifestyle habits in a healthy and sustainable way.
There are three different tiers: the “super-fast plan” based on 800 calories per day for 12 weeks, for those wanting to lose a lot of weight rapidly.
Then there's the 5:2 plan, which is based on 5 days of healthy eating and two fasting days, created for those who have less weight to lose and want to focus on fitness and a sustainable lifestyle.
Lastly, there's a Mediterranean-style plan if you are already at a healthy weight but would like to super-charge your health.
How does it work?
The Fast 800 is a sustainable plan that used a lower carbohydrate Mediterranean diet to help an individual's weight remain stable in the long-term.
The programme presents personalised menus of easy-to-prepare recipes which embrace the Mediterranean principles of consuming a diet rich in healthy proteins and vegetables and lower in carbs.
Healthy fats such as olive oil and nuts are encouraged and you won't be deprived of the occasional glass of wine or bite of chocolate either, which we can all agree is great news.
What are the benefits?
There are a host of benefits that come from following the Fast 800:
• Those on a Mediterranean diet are 30% less likely to die from a heart attack or stroke and cut their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 50%
• In a study of 306 people that investigated whether intensive weight management (800 calorie diet for 3-5 months) would achieve remission of type 2 diabetes versus a control group based on best-practice care guidelines, at 12 months there was remission of diabetes in 46% of the intervention groups and 4% of the control group. There was a weight loss of 15 kg+ in 24% of participants in the intervention group, and no participants in the control group.
How do you follow it?
Bringing together the latest science relating to what and how we eat, how to exercise and mindfulness, the step-by-step programme gives people the tools and resources needed to implement their own version of The Fast 800.
The 12-week programme includes:
• Personalised menus: 800 calories per day, 5:2, or a Mediterranean-style plan, all with vegetarian options. Your online personal assessment will determine the right plan for you (however, you can change your menu preferences at any time throughout the programme).
• A meal planner: swap recipes in and out, as it suits.
• Shopping lists that update when you change your meal plan.
• Nearly 250 easy-to-make and ‘taste great’ recipes.
• Exercise plans for the novice, confident and expert!
• Mindfulness guidance.
• A personal tracker.
• All-new handouts and a library of videos to support learning.
• An active forum of like-minded colleagues and dedicated health professionals.
The Fast 800: How to combine rapid weight loss and intermittent fasting for long-term health by Dr Michael Mosley, is out now.
Taken from GLAMOUR. Read the original here.
For more on healthy eating, click here !