Not only was her dress fabulous at the Oscars, but her make-up too! If I had to describe it in three words I’d say: luminous yet subtle! What really makes this look so gorgeous is the fact that she didn’t opt for a flat black colour. Her smoky eye was created with greys and deep blues instead, which gives a much softer finish. Here’s how to get the look:
1. Conceal: First conceal your eye area by using a moisturising concealer, as your eyes are the focus with this look. Stila’s Perfecting Concealer (R210) will do the trick nicely.
2. Shadow: Start by applying a pale grey over to just above the crease of the lid. Next, use a darker grey up to the crease of the lid, winging it up and outwards. Then, use an indigo colour just above the lash line. Finally, dot some white shadow in the corners of your eyes – this will really make your eyes ‘pop’. Clarins’ Eye Quartet Mineral Palette in Indigo (R415) is the prefect palette for this look!
3. Blend: Use a bullet shaped brush to blend the three shades together.
4. Line: Use a dark blue, or if you prefer, black kohl pencil to line the whole water line on the top and bottom lashes. Then line the lash line on the top lid, and half of the bottom of the lash line. (Just doing half of the bottom lash line will help open your eyes.) We’d recommend Inglot AMC Eyeliner in 101 (black) or 103 (dark blue) (R139 each).
5. Lashes: First curl your lashes, then apply two coats of volumising mascara on the top, and just one on the bottom. Bloom’s Full & Flirty Waterproof Fake Lash Mascara (R250 from Woolworths) is our current favourite.
6. Brows: Comb and fill you brows, then set with a brow gel.
7. Foundation: Only apply foundation where you need it. Rather let your skin show through, however wherever you do use it, blend well with a foundation sponge. For the lightest finish, use Elizabeth Arden’s Pure Finish Tinted Moisturiser (R235).
8. Cheeks: Use a big, fluffy brush to apply an apricot blush to the top parts of your cheeks, blending down the cheek bone. Try Woolworths Colour Cheeks Powder in Peach Melba (R140).
9. Lips: Her lips are the actual triumph of the look for me. She’s managed to get the perfect shade of natural gloss for her lip colour. Play around with a few shades to find your match. The best one we’ve found recently is the Nyx range at Clicks, it has a huge colour range, as well as a few texture options.
10. Smile: It adds the final flourish and pulls the whole look together!
Emmy is the daughter of a sailor, animal loving, coffee addicted, beauty product junkie editor of rouge.co.za