Going gluten-free doesn’t have to mean saying goodbye to the sweets and treats you once held dear. There are desserts out there which are gluten-free, guilt-free and truly tasty!
Thanks to these recipes from Fresh Earth Food Store, you can have your gluten-free cake and eat it! For more inspiration and healthy shopping solutions, visit APPLE BERRY BAKED GLUTEN-FREE OAT TART
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup organic pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kalahari rock salt
- 1 organic apple, peeled, cored and grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup organic milk
- 1/2 cup organic vanilla yoghurt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Madagascar vanilla extract
- 1 organic egg plus 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 190C°.
- Spray a pie pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the berries, oats, pecans, baking powder, salt and apple.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, yoghurt, syrup, vanilla, egg and yolk. Stir into oats mixture.
- Transfer to the prepared pan and bake until firm and golden brown on top, about 50 minutes.
- Let it cool down, cut into slices and serve.
- 35g cacao powder
- 80ml hot water
- 150g dark eating chocolate, melted
- 150g butter, melted
- 295g brown sugar, firmly packed
- 100g hazelnuts, finely ground
- 4 organic eggs, separated
- 20g cacao powder (extra)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease a deep, 20cm, round cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Blend the cacao powder with the water in a large bowl until smooth.
- Stir in the melted chocolate, butter, sugar, finely ground hazelnuts and egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites in a small bowl until soft peak stage. Fold into chocolate mixture in two batches.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tin and bake for one hour.
- Stand cake for 15 minutes. Turn onto wire rack, top side up, to cool.
- Dust with extra cacao powder. Serve with cream or ice cream and fresh gooseberries.
When it comes to gluten, what is fact and what is fiction? Check out these 3 Gluten myths, busted! Looking for more scrumptious, but healthy, treats? Try these healthy desserts worthy of seconds (even thirds!).