The sun is shining brightly which means one thing, it’s salad season! Nothing beats sitting down to a bowl of leafy greens after a hot day.
But don’t let your salads get boring! Fresh Earth Food Store has given us three gluten-free salad recipes to help you mix things up. For more inspiration and healthy shopping solutions, visit www.freshearth.co.za.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 11⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 bunches watercress – rinsed, dried and trimmed
- 3 bulbs fennel – trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 small bulbs of radish, cored and chopped
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- In a bowl, combine the cranberries, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, garlic and salt.
- Whisk in the olive oil.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the watercress, fennel, radish and pecans.
- Stir the vinaigrette mixture and pour over the salad.
- Toss well and serve immediately.
- 100g rocket
- 6 small beetroots, cooked whole then cut into quarters
- 90g goat’s milk cheese, cut into thick slices
- 2 small naartjies, wedges cut in half
- Cook the beetroot for approximately thirty minutes.
- Chop into chunks and allow to cool.
- Assemble the salad using the rocket as the base and then adding the beetroot.
- Add in the chopped naartjie wedges and goat’s cheese.
- Dress with olive oil and balsamic vinegar to taste.
- 1 block tofu
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 celery stick, cut into thin diagonal slices
- 10g fresh rocket
- 10g fresh basil
- Salad greens
- In a mixing bowl, cut tofu into small cubes.
- Add the grated cucumber and red onion to the mixing bowl, along with the lemon juice, olive oil and salt.
- Gently mix the ingredients together, helping the tofu absorb all the flavours.
- Mix in the celery and any desired herbs and place bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Mix your choice of salad greens in a salad bowl and stir in the tofu-mix.