Its women's month and we are celebrating everything women, and if there's one person that we at GLAMOUR headquarters think you should know its Salóme Buys-Vermeulen.
Salóme is the youngest of 3 kids and was born in Nelspruit. She spent her childhood in Mossel Bay and never fancied dolls, her passion was to create and organise.
Thinking she would follow in her father’s footsteps and become an architect, with a special interest in landscape architecture. However, in Grade 9, Salóme was mesmerized by her older brothers wine stories of Stellenbosch. From that moment on, her parents were on board with her becoming a winemaker.
Her mother purchased all sorts of winemaking encyclopaedias and stories relating to wine. It was these books that reminded her of her childhood dream and passion for winemaking.
Elsenburg was a natural choice for Salóme’ studies, hands-on and a practical approach to prepare her for the industry. In 2008 she was privileged to be part of the chosen 20 to complete her studies in BAgric Cellar Technology.
In 2009, Salóme was part of the Saronsberg (Tulbagh) harvest team and it was here that she met and fell in love with her husband, Sybrand. Together they started their journey at Ormonde Vineyards in Darling and then travelled to New Zealand to experience an international harvest.
At the end of 2011, they fell in love with a piece of earth in Bonnievale at Doornbosch farm. They both started working together to re-build this once neglected farm up and made specific choices of where to plant which cultivars.
Through their great friendship with the owner of the farm, they tasted the cultivar, Carménère and fell in love with it. When the farm was sold to new owners (Smuts Brothers Agri), they stayed and continued to create the now, Lozärn Wines. Knowing the soil, the history of the vines and building the cellar up since 2012 they couldn’t be happier to be part of this new journey with Lozärn Wines.
Seven fun and quirky facts about winemaker Salóme Buys-Vermeulen:
1) Salóme admits that she is often too serious and has to remember to breathe
2) An absolute COFFEE freak – it needs to be exquisite and not just any kind, totally black without milk or sugar
3) Really enjoys being creative - reading and painting are some of her favourite weekend hobbies
4) Wanted to be a rock star in high school – the lead guitarist!
5) Loves Scottish terriers (a little obsessed and finds them really witty)
6) Loves information and knowledge, often makes something more educational than just a plain task or job to do
7) Not a fan of Pinotage (doesn’t enjoy working with it in the vineyards or the cellar)