Midwest Fashion Week CONNEXIONS:
CONNEXIONS is an initiative that strives to grow the already established fashion community beyond the Midwest and open up markets for designers based in other parts of the world through a series of regional events, while also celebrating the efforts of the Midwestern fashion industry on a national and international level.
1. It connects art and fashion. It’s the first show in South Africa that incorporates all aspects of design – not just clothes. And it is set at an art gallery, people can enjoy both fashion and art on the day
2. The designers will get a chance to bring their brand vision to life outside of the conventional runway presentation, in a gallery setting. Guests will have the opportunity to interact with the designers and chat about the inspiration of their collections.
3. It connects designers from South Africa with the Midwest region the United States and vice versa
4. Over the years Midwest Fashion Week has built relationships in the various cities where it hosts events such as Paris Fashion Week, New York Fashion Week and Chicago. These relationships include showrooms, boutiques, press and stylists. These platforms will be made accessible to South African designers who collaborate with Midwest Fashion Week.
5. Designers showcasing
Berny Martin – Catou (U.S.A) – Female Clothing
Carol Bouwer – Carol Bouwer Hand Bags (SA)
Odysseus Shirindza – Arnreuby (SA) – Male/Female Clothing
Reggi Xaba – Ifele (SA)- Shoes
Nokwanda Ngcobo – 8thWandah (SA) – Female Clothing
Heather Marie Designs (U.S) – Hats
Inga Gubeka – Inga Atelier (SA) – Hand Bags
6. An opportunity to open doors for young upcoming designers to be part of the next Midwest Fashion Week.
7. These opportunities and networks help the designers to further grow their businesses and brand visibility on a global scale.
8. Fashion is becoming more and more the found source of global economic development and South Africa has a lot of potential. This platform will give South African designers global exposure.
9. Due to Covid-19 regulations, the event will be accessible to a select few at the venue, by invitation only, with a virtual component to allow for a broader audience to tune in.